Monday, March 14, 2011

The Nokia N900 Blog

The Nokia N900 Blog


I’m not there but I’m still trying – customization once again

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 08:11 AM PDT

Some time ago I was reinstalling firmware on my N900, but because of things happening around MeeGo, Nokia and Microsoft some things ;) I haven’t found time to even customize my N900 once again. So let’s get back to business.

What new can I find after playing with N900 for over a year now? It appears that quite some interesting things. First of all, the one I was subconsciously missing for a long time – default clock customization. This can be done with Advanced Clock Plugin, neat set of modifications for statusbar clock.

First of all, my favourite part, you can put date to your statusbar clock, no need to place additional widgets on homescreen just to check what day is it. Digging through options reveals additional settings, few types of clocks that allows to display next alarm time or to change appearance of clock to some custom bitmaps, like nixie clock (just like the one for homescreen) or even Klingon for Star Trek geeks ;)

Advanced Clock Plugin settings Homescreen with Klingon clock Clock and alarm time

Finally if you want to use more than just one feature you can configure clock to display differently on every homescreen you have, so you can have date on one, alarm on second and Klingon on some other just for fun.

To be honest I haven’t reinstalled all of the UI tweaks after cleaning my N900, but this looks like one of the must-have modifications.

MJ