
VirtualRadio Dis:
S60v3 comes with a built-in web radio player that you can access via your music folder. I have always had problems getting it to stream over my O2 network.
Sometimes the buffering fails, sometimes it connects and plays, but it will always cut out after 30 seconds or so, even with a strong 3G signal. If I am lucky, it will come back on for around a minute and then disappear altogether.
I have tried many a station and always get the same results. However, when this application is used over Wi-Fi it is faultless. It connects very quickly and you can even add your favourite stations into it. When I try to connect to a station I have added via my network, I always get the error ‘unable to connect to station’.
So, when I came across Virtual Radio I thought I would give it a stab. The free version comes with a small amount of advertising, but that really isn’t an issue. The layout is very simple and consists of only 4 options:
- Play
- Stop
- Channel groups
- Channels
Just when I thought I had found the answer to my web audio streaming, the same thing starts to happen as the built in streamer. The constant ‘cutting out’ every minute or so makes it unusable. Of course, there is always the possibility of sinister goings on at o2. They blatantly admit that streaming isn’t supported in their web packages due to their fair usage policy. But then again, YouTube streaming works fine so the jury is out on this one
S60v3



