Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Nokia N900 Blog

The Nokia N900 Blog


Game of life for N900

Posted: 11 Dec 2010 12:23 PM PST

Winter in Poland is fully-blown now and I’m lying ill again. When I’m ill I’m playing more games, also on N900. This time I propose you something like a game, something every geek should know, something that may be simple model of life in bacteries colony, so something exacly for geek in fever like me ;) .

Game of life for N900

Game of life for N900

Conway’s Game of Life is actually 40 years old cell life simulation. Everything happens on square grid filled with living and dead cells and is based on four simple rules (from wikipedia):

  1. Any live cell with fewer than two live neighbours dies, as if caused by under-population.
  2. Any live cell with two or three live neighbours lives on to the next generation.
  3. Any live cell with more than three live neighbours dies, as if by overcrowding.
  4. Any dead cell with exactly three live neighbours becomes a live cell, as if by reproduction.

On such simple basis geeks have developed many interesting patterns, immortal structures, most of them have their own names. One of them, glider, became hacker emblem.

N900 users now have own game of life, pretty simple as the idea itself, with (not working, at least for me and hopefully not for long) placeholder for standard patterns like glider, lightweight spaceship or Gosper glider gun.

I was playing with this gadget for hours, lying in bed with fever. Try it yourself, playing with life is pretty much fun ;)

MJ