Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Nokia N900 Blog

The Nokia N900 Blog


FrontView – quasi scanner application

Posted: 07 Dec 2010 01:06 PM PST

I try many applications from extras and devel catalogues and this way I’ve found FrontView application for N900 one day. Back then it was still under development and was rather messy and not exactly functional. But luckily today I can recommend working quasi scanner application.

FrontView main screen

FrontView main screen

FrontView is more like gadget than real scanner emulator for camera, it’s most interesting feature is extracting rectangular images from tilted pictures. Let’s see how it works, example isn’t much interesting, so Start is our button on main screen. This proceeds to image selection, on the screenshot you can see my previous try with FrontView among other images. Here you can choose capturing with camera, then just open lens, take a picture of some piece of paper and choose it when it appears.

FrontView image selection

FrontView image selection

Then processing is divided into few steps, at first you can rotate and crop or rotate input image, if you’re ready tap on tilted paper icon.

FrontView image preprocessing

FrontView image preprocessing

Here you can select which paper on the picture you’re interested in (if there is more than one) and fine-tune its corner positions, I’ve selected default detected and result seems to be pretty good.

FrontView paper selection

FrontView paper selection

FrontView corner correction

FrontView corner correction

FrontView results and saving

FrontView results and saving

I don’t think this application can replace regular scanner or taking pictures from propper angle, but it’s nice feature if you want to quickly extract some paper, advert, newspaper cover or something else from already taken picture.

–

MJ