Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Nokia N900 Blog

The Nokia N900 Blog


One year with N900 – what I’ve been using the most

Posted: 01 Dec 2010 11:06 AM PST

Recently I’ve realised that I have my Nokia N900 for over a year now. It’s good time to summarize which applications, themes, plugins, widgets and accesories I’ve used the most. Of course you can have a look at whole blog, but this will be faster ;)

First of all I’ve enabled extras-testing and extras-devel catalogues. There I’ve found some useful things and from the very beginning I’m using CPU/memory load widget, personal dataplan monitor and Desktop Inbox Widget. Over time more customization came with quick-launch and LED Pattern, i still have few shortcuts in status menu and personalized LED blinking for every event (for example SMS arrives with 2 blinks of orange light – similar to yellow envelope icon for Conversations, e-mail arrives with blue and white blinks – just like in e-mail icon). My boot screen remains changed, I don’t have annoying ‘Nokia hands’ anymore and using tools from the same category (currently it’s Theme Customizer) I always have homescreen icons aligned to grid of some kind. Most of this tools you can find in my ‘Do it your way with N900′ series.

Applications I use the most… well, this is a bit harder. For sure Phone, Conversations, Calendar and e-mail, this is what I use every day and I’ve noticed that N900 has marvellous support for Microsoft Exchange, the best I’ve seen in Linux (not counting virtual box with windows on board ;) ). Apart from that it’s MaePad, my very first application I’ve been reviewing for this blog. Every day I’m also using standard Media Player with Last.fm scrobbler, about 80% of music on my profiles comes from my N900. When I’m going for further trip I tend to catch up with favourite shows using KMplayer with all of additional codecs support, works like a charm. And finally theme I use right now is Black Plastic, a bit modified with Theme Customizer, with my own wallpaper.

For accesories I use, it’s not surprising that I use few things from our store, like almost every part of N900 safety bundle. I find this stuff reliable, most has free shipping and I’m really happy using it. Moreover I don’t go out of home without my portable charger similar to original Nokia charger available in the store, mostly it’s just lying in my backpack, but there are some rare situations when I really need it and for this it’s better to have one than to be left without power.

The last but not the least, as software developer and man highly Linux-oriented I use XTerminal really extensively, for many things, updates, cleanups, low-level modifications and for some instant messangers installed on my personal server. I think that having native support for quite good console and SSH client is one of my favourite features of N900. What else I can add, I just love this phone and after one full year I’m not going to change it for anything else at least for next year.

–

MJ